Frequently Asked Questions
Is there an application fee?
No, there is no application fee.
Who can enter?
Inventors, entrepreneurs, start-ups, and university researchers are all welcome to enter the program!
Do I need to have a registered company to apply?
No, university researchers and research teams are encouraged to apply. In the field where it asks for company name, type "none".
Can I enter as part of a team?
Yes! You can enter as an individual or team working in academia, research, or a commercial start-up setting and have an innovative product or solution.
Does an applicant have to give up any equity?
No, no equity is taken.
When do I need to submit my application?
IMPACT Cycle 6 applications close at 11:59PM on July 31st.
What are the eligibility criteria for the M2D2 IMPACT Program?
M2D2 seeks early to mid-stage start-ups in the medical device and biotech spaces. We encourage those who are developing a product and/or service in the healthcare areas outlined in the application to apply.
How do you select finalists for the M2D2 IMPACT Program?
M2D2, along with the IMPACT sponsors, evaluates all applications based on value, strength, and execution plan. The company strength for each category is evaluated using multiple metrics.
• Value – product, customer validation, business model & healthcare economics, competition, IP, market opportunity, and patient benefit
• Strength – team strength, development plan, responsiveness/coachable, freedom to operate, regulatory & clinical burden, funding to date, resources needed
• Execution plan – stage of development, evidence, time to market, traction, partnerships & relationships, time to key milestones, upcoming funding
• Interaction with M2D2 and program sponsors is also used as an evaluation metric
We just raised a Series E, can we still apply?
Yes! M2D2 encourages applications from companies at all stages of fundraising, from friends and family to seed and beyond to apply to the IMPACT Program. Preference is given to companies with transformative potential and those who will benefit the most from working with M2D2 and the program sponsors.
We are developing a transformative healthcare technology at a university research lab. Can we apply?
Yes! Ventures involving technologies licensed from universities or research labs are encouraged to apply.
I noticed there is coaching available for finalists. What is this like?
All finalists are offered coaching appointments to meet with subject matter and pitch experts to refine their presentations and be ready for the pitch-off showcase event.
We are based outside the U.S. Can we apply to the IMPACT Program?
Yes, international applicants are welcomed and are encouraged to apply.
What are the key dates I should be aware of?
• Thursday, June 15th: Applications Open
• Monday, July 31st: Applications Close
• Monday August 7th: Cohort 6 Announced
• Thursday, August 10th: Onboarding Commences
• Wednesday, August 16th: Virtual Program Commences
• Wednesday, November 1st: In Person Showcase Day + Pitch-off Events
If I’m not selected to participate in this cohort, will I receive a written explanation?
Unfortunately, due to the high number of applications, we cannot provide a written explanation to every applicant who isn’t selected to participate in this cohort. Most times, it is due to not being properly aligned with the call for applications.